Sexual Abuse Help Line 1800 242 544 (land lines only) or 07 3835 2266
The Anglican Church of Australia regards any professional misconduct as a serious matter and over the past few years has strengthened considerably the policies and procedures that are followed when misconduct is reported.
The Anglican Diocese of North Queensland is committed to supporting and seeking justice for victims of abuse in our community. Those who suffer from abuse are not only the victim, but their families, friends, associates, the broader church community and all concerned.
With full regard to legal and ethical considerations the Diocese will be transparent and accountable in its actions and part of its witness to the truth will be the way in which these matters are dealt with.
In conjunction with the Brisbane Diocese, a Director of Professional Standards has been appointed in accordance with the Professional Standards Canon 2004.
The primary objective of the Director is: To promote and strive to ensure a safe, supportive and ethical environment in schools, parishes and organizations of the Diocese.
Principles which guide the actions and decisions of the Director include:
- The love and compassion of Jesus Christ.
- Misconduct by a person in authority of a person under that authority is a breach of trust and professional behaviour.
- The Diocese recognises that persons who are subjected to misconduct are harmed by it.
- The Diocese accepts a moral obligation to help persons who are subject to misconduct where there is no legal obligation to do so.
- The Diocese will respect the wishes of the person subjected to misconduct subject to legal obligations and any over-riding ethical responsibilities.
- The Diocese will publish a Protocol for Dealing with Complaints of Abuse which is readily available.
- To augment the Protocol, Protection Policies for schools and parishes have been developed and published to promote a safe, supportive and ethical environment.
- The Director of Professional Standards is responsible for the application and monitoring of the Professional Standards Canon and the Abuse Protocol; and will
- ensure the implementation of the Protocol and Policies within Anglican organisations in the Diocese,
- implement educative and preventive initiatives throughout the Diocese,
- receive information regarding misconduct and respond in an appropriate and timely manner, and
- advise and support parishes, schools and agencies.